Pages

24 January 2011

Time Travel

"We can't take that risk. We don't know how her body might react to the speed, so we ought to send a test subject before we summon her", Amar explained. He hoped they would get his point. He hated this part of his work. Making a bunch of lunkheads understand science was more difficult than teaching a monkey to speak English.

"Do as you wish but we want results", John said on behalf of everyone.

Amar said, "It can't be helped. We ought to go by rules. I can't perform miracles" and walked out of the conference room.

How much he hated working for them. They weren't making him work for the welfare of mankind or anyone for that matter. It was always about them. They wanted him to finish off the project as soon as possible so that they could save their hides.

***

"So who is our guinea pig?" Amar asked and when he saw a black man whom he didn't recognize, he supposed that was him. He asked his team, "Lets get started, shall we?"

"The probability of this test succeeding is at most eighty nine percent", he informed to the black man. He didn't even bother asking his name. However, when he noticed the fear on his face, he added, "Eighty nine percent is a life saver. Trust me".

He asked, "Do you know that there are possibilities that you might never come back?" and the black man nodded.

"Poor thing! I wonder how much they have paid him to do this," he thought and then he said, "Once you are there, you will have just an hour to finish your job".

"Roger".

***

While he messed around the lab, Amar thought, “It should have worked unless she was aware of our plan and had a counter plan ready.

It's impossible to fight such a strong force, all by herself.

She is awesome, isn't she? If she actually fought this then I wonder what she would be capable of if she gets access to our advanced technology.

Well! I have to bring her here to see what she is capable of".

***

"I'm going. If we can't bring her here then everything we did would be pointless. I can't let that happen. This project is my dream", he explained.

"No, professor. We can't let you do that. We need you to complete this project", they argued.


"You guys know everything and you can carry on without me. We need her here more than me".


He sat inside the time-machine and signaled them to start it. He wanted to meet her no matter what. She was a genius lost in history and he wanted to learn what she knew that he had failed to understand. He wanted to know where he had gone wrong and why his machine didn't work as desired.

***

He had found her and drugged her to sleep, and had her chained to a chair. He waited for the effect of the drug to wear off and that was testing his patience to no limits. He had worked so hard but had failed to understand time traveling completely and waiting for the woman, who knew what he had missed, was proving to be more challenging than he had expected. His project depended on her knowledge.

He marched from one side of the room to another while she moaned in her sleep. He tried to catch few words but it made no sense. He had leased a room in the outskirts of the city as a traveler visiting for a business purpose and that had cost him 5000 grand. He had never supposed that cost of living would be costlier in his past than his future. He had also brought a fake passport from the future, just in case he got into trouble in the past.

At last, she woke up and asked, "Where am I? Who are you? What do you want?" She looked scared and he didn't like that. He wasn't a bad guy after all. He had immobilized her because he didn't know how she would react if he spoke about time traveling. He had supposed that she wouldn't talk to him and he didn't have enough time and patience to win her confidence hence had to do it the wrong way.

He told her, "Don't be scared. I won't harm you but I want you to answer few of my questions before I release you. Answer to my question is what I seek. I would be grateful to you if you cooperate without causing fuss because I don't have much time".

She asked him, "Have you time traveled? Are you from future?" and he coolly nodded. He had already supposed that she would be aware of him.

She asked "Why? Why were you summoning me?"

"However, it didn't work", he pointed.

"It did not? I'm surprised." she smirked.

"Tell me why it didn't work" he demanded.

She said, "If you were good enough to time travel to your past then find out why you couldn't pull me into the future."

"Please!" he requested but she barked, "Who are you to go against whatever God has in store for us? Let them die if that is what God wants. Let the world end".

"How do you know?"

"Grandpa had predicted that this day would come. He had told me that someone from future would come seeking my knowledge".

"The world will end anyway but the people who invested in this project don't want to see that end. They want to live on", he told her.

She asked, "So that's what you truly want? I don't think you time traveled to save someone else's arse".

"This project is my dream", he said. When she didn't say anything he continued, "I just want to know what didn't work. I don't intend to go against anything. I always knew that this project won't work. The history book that I have read is fatter than whatever you have read. My days were crueler than yours. Humans have changed a lot. Hitler is a joke in front of them and if they are meant to be dead then they will, no matter how hard they try to fight death. Being the only one who knows how my machine works, I still came here. I fooled my subordinates to believe that they knew everything about the machine and they would be able to carry on without me. I didn't come here to save those rich bastards. I just seek knowledge".

He added, "My body cannot sustain the speed that is required to time travel. At least, not again. Please, enlighten me! I want to know it even though it's of no use to me anymore".


She thought for awhile before asking him to untie her. He obeyed her without thinking twice because he knew that she would answer to his questions.

"Shall we go to grandpa's lab? I need you to check something before I tell you anything."

***

Her grandfather's lab was nothing like he had expected. It wasn't sophisticated like his lab but there was almost everything, stuffed into the cupboards that covered the walls from the roof to the floor. There were also instruments that he had never seen before. He was curious to learn about them but he had other important things at hand that required his immediate attention.

He asked her, "You are a scientist too?"

"I'm not but grandpa has thought me a lot. Might be I'm not as good as you but I know pretty much," she told him.

She led him to the gaussmeter and handed her bracelet to him saying, "Grandpa gave this to me on my tenth birthday. He had asked me to never take it off.”

He had never expected the magnetic field around the bracelet to be so strong and he wanted to know how it was managing to not-to-attract things around it. She explained to him before he could ask her anything, "Grandpa made it. It's not an ordinary magnet. You couldn't summon me to the future because the speed that you used couldn't fight the magnetic force of that bracelet. Though its magnetic force is feeble compared to the light, it is stronger than the signals that are sent from the future". He stood dumbstruck as he had never supposed that fighting his time machine would be so simple. She continued, "Time travel is not only about speed because the extreme speed damages the human body at cellular level. You should have considered protecting the traveler’s body by using other energies, instead of concentrating only on light and speed".

"When someone talks about time travel, speed is the first thing that occurs to them and then they forget everything else. They just want to beat the gravitational energy that binds them to the present that they forget about the important aspect of time travel and that is the life itself. If we cannot make it alive then what's the point in traveling through time?"

He whispered under his breath, “I’m a fool. How could have I neglected the basics?”

***

John said, "Time travel isn't an option anymore. We better concentrate on space housing" and everyone agreed.

18 comments:

  1. This is an interesting short story

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting story ...

    i wud not mind time travel :)

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goody good!! Wonderful narration and congrats for the Tangy Pick!
    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice story girl..I love sci-fi :D Congrats for the Blogadda pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Venturing into science fiction? A very interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sushant, Ritu, Bikram, Shilpa, MEgha, Avada and Purba
    Thank you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Nethra! Really impressive short story. Enjoyed reading it. Congrats for being featured in the Tangy Picks, your style deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually don't like sci-fi, but this was rivetting read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow that was nice and loved the way you narrated it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And in other news....

    Hey Nethra,

    Pls promote/vote for my blog at this url:

    http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=46697

    Cheers!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing story Nethra. Dunno why I didn't read this before. The scientific explanations provided in the end serves as the clincher.
    We better concentrate on space housing." -ROFL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aline, Magiceye, Zephyr, Prathiba, Rajest, Stranger, Siddhartha
    Thank you guys! :)

    Samadrita
    I made up those scientific explanations. Sounds real, don't they?

    ReplyDelete