Pages

01 April 2010

Plain Jane's Obsession

It was so easy for her to fall in love with him. He was the captain of the school Cricket Club. He was handsome and he was one of the top scorers of the class. Like every other girl at school, she wanted him to notice her. However, she was neither pulchritudinous nor a genius, which would have made her stand out from the rest. She was just an ordinary Plain-Jane. She knew he would never notice her, not when Ramya, Preeti and Tanya were around him. She hated everyone of them because they got his attention without even trying...after all, they were his friends. They were not just his friends but also beautiful, so stunningly beautiful that they were quite famous among boys and the only boy who knew her was Vikas because like him she too read Archie (a comic book).

She started spending hours in front of the mirror, wondering what could have been better in her that would have made him notice her. How much ever effort she put on looking good, he didn't glance at her even once. She understood that she had to do something else to get his attention, something more than just looking good. She had never been an attention-seeker, so she couldn't figure out what exactly she should do to get his attention, without embarrassing herself. She stalked him for few days and observed him closely. She tried to understand his likes and dislike, then she knew it...she knew what she had to do. The guy was always a winner because he liked it that way and the only way to make him notice her was to defeat him or give him a tough competition. He surely wouldn't be able to ignore his competitor. Now, she couldn't compete with him for cricket-club's captainship, because it was boys team, so she decided to compete in the academics. He was good at studies and even she was but if she really wanted to beat him, she had to improve her scores. She worked harder and she realized it was easier than she had supposed. Studying was easier than trying to look good. It came naturally and even teachers started noticing her hard-work...she only hoped even he would notice her soon enough.

Aisha told her, "It was a smart choice. I'm glad you decided to do something productive unlike few others" and she knew who those few others were. Chitra had written him a love letter and Gita had tried talking to him, and obviously nothing had worked.

It was time for class internals and she prepared as if it were final exams. Her efforts didn't go waste and she made it to top ten. He was still way ahead of her but she was sure she would beat him one day. She decided to work harder.

One day, her Maths teacher called out few names and she was second on the list while he was fifth. The teacher said they would have to participate in an inter school mathematics competition. She couldn't help but pat her own shoulders. Aisha was very happy for her friend. She said, "I'm so proud of you".

"I know", that's all she could manage to say but she knew her friend had really meant it.

She couldn't believe her luck when she had to team up with him, however it wasn't two men team. All five from the school were one team. She was more than happy to introduce herself to the team and she couldn't stop smiling at the very thought that now he would know her name. The competition was tough but everyone of them tried their level best to win, however they ended up as runner ups.

How much she wished they had won. She knew they would have got closer if only they had won, but she had tried hard, real hard and still they hadn't won.

Aisha tried to console her, but she didn't succeed. She told her, "You can't be really in love with him, Nina. Its just infatuation".

"I'm enjoying this so let me just enjoy. It has done nothing but good to me".

"Yes, but you are getting obsessed with it".

"Whatever!"

The very next day, she realized Aisha had been just trying to help her and in return she had been rude to her. She decided she would ask sorry for being stupid. While Aisha and she walked to the classroom, someone called her from behind and to her surprise, it was him. He said, "Hello, Nina!" and she couldn't say a Hello in return. She just blinked and stayed rooted to the spot. Anyway, he continued, "You were great yesterday. If it weren't for you then we would have lost very badly", after saying this he walked away.

For awhile, Nina stood holding her breath and when she did breathe again, she said, "You were right, Aisha"

Aisha had no clue what Nina was talking. She asked, "What?"

"I'm not in love with this guy. Now I know that all I wanted was him to acknowledge my existence".

Aisha said, "That makes sense" and they walked into the classroom. Before taking her seat, she spotted him and smiled. He smiled back.

54 comments:

  1. Hey nethra,

    sweet story..sometimes,tht's all we need, a little nod in our direction,an affirmation that yes,I am there in your life..Nice post, nice short story..

    Keep it up!

    www.assorted-platter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great story Nethra. I like it a lot

    Cheers
    Milan
    http://milanavi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is the happy ending?

    Very unexpected ending yaar... Great going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pulchritudinous...... it is like a bouncer.
    Where did u find it?.... Gawd, the pronunciation and the spelling...
    the word is really pulchritudinous.. :)

    Studying was easier than trying to look good..... liked this sentence...

    The ending is quite unique, realistic, pragmatic, twisted and matured.
    Any specific reason for such ending?
    Narration is simple but impacting and conveying....
    One of the best short stories i have read recently....
    keep writing :)

    The new template design is quite "pulchritudinous" ....... :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guessed the ending would be she admitting that it was infactuation. But the way you ended was very novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely woven story..U showed the thin line between love and infatuation..Yeah good that the girl has realized it..:) good work..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. creatively concocted story...shows a different and saner perspective of teenage infatuation.

    keep writing! :)

    http://calvy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. nethra i must say something like this happened to me too!!! first year, med school, me like girl. girol doesn't know i exist. girl good in biochem, me started studying to get her attention, ended up topping the charts. girl knew me exist!

    oh an that was all. nothing more happened.

    damn you real world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Different.. I could not predict the end.. Well written :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pravin
    You got it right. Sometimes we don't need anything more than acknowledgment. Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    Milan
    I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for the comment. :)

    Saurabh
    Nina was happy...the guy was happy and even Aisha was happy. What happy ending you are talking about? Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mahesh
    "Pulchritudinous"...hehehe! I liked the word very much. Of course, I found it in the dictionary. It means beautiful.
    The story ended that way because it ended that way. I mean this story was inspired by real life incidents.
    Thanks for the comment. :)

    Venky
    Well! She was still at school and I'm sure people can't fall in love at such early ages. I'm glad you liked the story. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vamsi
    She realized it long ago. :P
    Thanks for the comment. I'm really glad you liked it. :)

    Calvy
    I used to fall in love every other day when I was in my teens. I'm glad you liked the story. Thanks! :)

    Pranab
    Things like this happen, but you should have realized you weren't in love with her just like Nina did. Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pooja
    I'm really very very happy that I could write something unpredictable. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could actually relive parts of my school life while reading this, don't get this wrong, i'm not a girl :P, but the way you described school life was very good :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. more than the story i liked the narrative style... there is a nice flow...
    will be lookin out for more... keep bloggin....

    ReplyDelete
  16. u hav done it again :)

    short and simple and conveyed it so beautifully :)

    the template is good too..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yea...nice story...and very true story...we always admire what we don't have and when we get it, we loose the fascination. Like the old proverb goes "The grass is always greener on the other side" When we reach the other side is looks nothing different that the original.

    Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The girl is a die hard romantic :)

    Sweet story Nethra

    ReplyDelete
  19. great story
    the end was awesome
    keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mural
    I'm happy that this story could take you back to school days. Thanks for the comment. :)

    impuregod
    I'm glad you liked the narration atleast. Thanks! :)

    Chandrika.
    Thanks, buddy. :)

    Sundeep
    Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Megha
    You got it right. I've gone through the same phase so many times. Thanks for the comment. :)

    Purba
    I didn't get you. When in the story she was romantic? Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    Vinayak
    Thanks, buddy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. nethra

    a very nice post... often seen these things in college smtimes happening with me and smtime with my frnds lolz :P

    u narrate this incident so well :)

    keep this spirit coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. gr8....simple and sweet...above all it is real...btw liked the ending too...it is nice that the ending has been left to the reader's imagination....well done

    ReplyDelete
  24. took me back down the memory lane and some times the acknowledment is all matters doesnt it?! now its upto us to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Himanshu
    Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you liked the story. :)

    Shrinidhi
    Thanks buddy. :)

    singhnilesh
    I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for the comment, buddy. :)

    Hary!
    Yes, sometimes we just need an acknowledgment and nothing else. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. why does girls always fall for cricket captains and toppers? :roll:
    we back-benchers a.k.a the toppers from bottom are also world-beaters. When will the world understand this? :D:
    nice post! didnt see the end coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. nice story Nethra..it conveys the message beautifully..this kind of a story should be read by college going people especially teenage group.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. A different kind of ending.Very realistic.Me likes! :))

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very nice Nethra,
    exactly representing a teenage girl.Normally these girls show carelessness in their studies if they have a crush over any.
    Your story is giving a nice message too..Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dishit
    Even you guys don't fall for Plain Jane, do you? I'm happy you liked the story. Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    Neha
    We should encourage them to read such stories, shouldn't we? However, they prefer romance over stories with such morals. Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    Samadrita
    Thanks, buddy.

    Prasanth
    I too had many crushes when I was at school. I'm glad you liked the story. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. he that was a fyn experience to be introduced to such good blog on blogsville! i really enjoyd the story. n ur template is cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey Nethra What a lovely story......Love reading it.....


    KEEP WRITING

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice story Nethra ! reminds me of my own school days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. nice story..
    i loved d line ""I'm not in love with this guy. Now I know that all I wanted was him to acknowledge my existence". reminds me of ma school days becoz something like dis happend to me also :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Er, okay, yes, I like most of your posts. And I hate admitting that! :P This has actually happened with one of my friend! =) Man, I am going to use the last line soon.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Paramveer
    Thanks buddy and heartily welcome to my blog. :)

    Vijay
    I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the comment. :)

    Parvinder
    I'm glad it could bring back school days memories to you. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Deepa
    I did happen with me and that's what inspired me to write this story. Thanks for the comment. :)

    童紫勳
    I translated your comment into English and yes, life without friends is like sky without sun. Thanks for the beautiful comment. :)

    Vineet
    Thanks buddy. :)

    Virgin author
    After knowing your opinion about my blog, I'm glad you like at least my stories. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey thanks for visiting my blog.. but you missed the Joke in the article :)
    anyway surprise coming..

    I loved you story .. Brought back some memories when i was in hockey team hmmmm thats what she was thinking he he heeh eh :)

    Excellent

    ReplyDelete
  39. Bikram
    I'm waiting for the surprise and thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love ur take on the 'hot guy, plain jane' love story..so different and I totally loved the ending:-)

    sonali

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sonali
    I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. you are not a "plain jane" at all..
    so,,it does'nt look like your personal story,,,
    however must say it was good, you know, as an "
    abstract creation"....

    ReplyDelete
  43. gone paranoid
    I'm so much a plain Jane, however this was a fiction but little inspired from the real life. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very nice story, loved the ending. Very different, larger than life. Hope to see more from your pen.. er.. keyboard :-)

    ReplyDelete
  45. @Vibushan
    Haven't thought of a sequel yet. But if I do, I will surely post it.

    writerzblock
    I'm glad that you liked it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Nice story..but slightly intriguing ending..I did not get how did she realized that she dont love him ?
    I mean, he walked away..it was his choice..bt how it affects nina's choice ?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Chandan
    She was never in love with him. It was just infatuation and she realized it when he walked away. That was what I wanted to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I don't understand..how do you define a clear line between love n infatuation?
    Earlier she felt, its true love, and worked hard for it..and suddenly, how !!
    It was he who moved out, not she..!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Chandan
    She was a school kid and for sure kids don't understand love. He didn't move out, he could never move out because he was never in it. She, all of a sudden, realized that she didn't love him. All that she wanted was him to acknowledged her existence.

    ReplyDelete
  50. hey Nethra a well written, simple , realistic story it do remind us about our school days:)

    ReplyDelete