Pages

20 April 2010

Matchmaking

Wedding isn’t an easy affair. Be it the bride or the groom or their families, everyone experience excitement, confusion and anxiety on the big day. They laugh together, they cry together and definitely they gossip. Wedding hall becomes the hotspot of all possible things one can imagine. Flirty boys, giggly girls, nosy old bags and noisy kids, it offers something to everyone.

“I’m coming only because you promised me that you won’t do any match making business over there”, Sushma argued.

Her mom checked her make-up in the mirror for one last time before taking the keys from the drawers. “Alright sweetheart, I promise that I won’t try to fix you up with anyone. Now, shall we leave? It’s late already”.
Sushma didn’t like dressing up. She had chosen to wear a simple salwar-kameez and pearl earrings. She already knew that she would be in trouble because all her aunts were attending the wedding and they so much didn’t like her dressing sense. They wanted her to wear a heavy dress because according to them the heavier the dress, higher the status was. Sushma knew better. She avoided crowd as much as possible and if her aunts were among the crowd, then she stayed well away. However, she quite enjoyed her cousins company, especially Archana. She was very bubbly and smart too, unlike her mother. She said, “Mom was talking about a techie dude. I don’t recall his name, but she was all praises for him. I suppose that you will have to entertain him for awhile”.

Sushma said, “Mom promised that she wouldn’t try to fix me up with anyone”.

Archana warned, “Oh! You should have known better. Let’s wait and watch. The evening has just started”.

They didn’t realize how long they had been chatting until Suresh joined them. He was another cousin and he was fun to be around. Soon they got immersed in conversations over so many topics that they couldn’t count them. They talked about everything from Suresh’s ex-girl friends to Archana’s boss, Archana’s friends to Sushma’s marriage proposals and that is when Sushma heard someone call her name from behind. Without even turning around to see who it was and what they wanted, she knew she was damned. The expressions on both Archana and Suresh’s face told it.

She was surprised to see that there was no guilt on her mom’s face. There, she was standing with one of her sisters, along with a guy next to them. He was handsome alight. Sushma wasn’t against marriage and she had no problem in meeting guys, but she wanted to be left alone in family functions. It was someone else’s big day and she wanted it to be that way. Her relatives loved gossiping more than anyone else’s relatives and she didn’t want to get into the limelight, but she knew there was no escape.

Her mom introduced her to the guy. His name was Ashish and he was an engineer. She wanted Archana and Suresh to stay along her side while she tried to get to know Ashish, but her mom and aunt together sent them away.

They sat facing each other and she could sense many eyes on her. How much she wished that she had stayed at home. It was really awkward and it wasn’t just her who was feeling uncomfortable, but she noticed that even the guy wasn’t enjoying much. She was the one who started the conversation. She said, “I guess we should talk something”.

He agreed, “I guess we should” and looked around to see how many people were watching them. It didn’t help him much because almost every eye in the hall was on them, even the groom and bride.

He told her, “I don’t know about you but I seriously don’t like this”.

She replied, “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you how much I’m enjoying this”.

He asked, “How about taking a walk?” and walked away from the table, without even waiting for her to answer. Anyway, she followed him.

He asked, “I’m sorry but I couldn’t stay there with all those people watching us”.

“Oh, don’t be sorry. I guess I started liking you because of that”. Now, she wouldn't meet someone everyday, who would save her from getting embarrassed.

He wasn’t surprised when he heard that, instead he gave her a smile.

53 comments:

  1. well written...the unease of the gen next very beautifully put...if the couple click for what ever reason, the system of matchmaking lives and gets stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a nice read...

    simple words and a simple story.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. eeeks that would be ackward situation with 100s of eyes watching your lips and reactions :S

    btw, it made a good read. simple but beautiful :)

    - Lakshmi rajan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got nostalgic.. :D .. Good one.. Sweet n Simple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely woven story.. Never did I see an interesting girl in any of the weddings that I attended..:P

    ReplyDelete
  6. That made an interesting read!!
    Yeah...happens all the time with eligible guys and girls!! Must be truly awkward for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! it is indeed embarrassing when so many eyes or peeping at someone! Good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Nethra, This is really interesting! Loved reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They shudnt have walked away..but rather they shud have ran away from that scene.. ha ha aha ha..

    well said..and written...

    I have not experienced such a situation till now...

    Just imagined me being in the guys situation and everyone is peeping what wud be the epression etc.etc...

    good work..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Nethra,

    First time here, liked ur style of writing,simple style,yet u did create a curiosity on how things are gonna be in the end, well said ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey nice one Nethra..simple and real story..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. More,more,more..Make it a series.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. very well written :)
    I have gone through such situation once i know how embarrassing it is.
    and later everyone wants to know what you talked x-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice well written story! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so cute..would love to know what happened next:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well written... simply the best

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nalini
    If they are meant for each other then its good their mom's fixed them up, right?
    Thanks for the comment. :)

    Sundeep
    Thanks buddy. :)

    Lakshmi
    Yes, it is indeed awkward and if you have stage fear, then you are gone case. :P
    Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pooja
    I too miss weddings. Its the bst place to meet all cousins and aunts. :P
    Thanks for the comment. :)

    Vamsi
    I guess you were looking at the wrong place. Guys are always busy ogling at sexy bimbos and then they complain that they din't find anyone interesting. :P
    Thanks for the comment. :)

    Shilpa
    Its not about being eligible. I thank god that my mom doesn't entertain such things otherwise even I would go through the same thing every-time I attend a family function. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mohan
    Yes, its so embarrassing. Thanks for the comment. :)

    Rajesh
    Thanks buddy. :)

    Ketan
    Don't worry, you will experience it very soon. I'm foretelling it.
    Thanks for the comment. :)

    Readers Dias
    I'm glad you liked the story and it was able to create suspense. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Neha
    It might have happened with others but not me. Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    Purba
    No series because they get married after that. :P
    Thanks for the comment. :)

    Sweta
    I think that's the worst part, everyone probing what we talked. Its so sad you went through that kinda situation. :(
    Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shankha
    Thanks buddy. :)

    bollywoodstylediaries
    I guess they got married. :P
    Thanks for the comment. :)

    Mac
    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. your opinions might be otiose but thinking is certainly not... weird situations... ^_^
    well narrated... :)):)

    PS: Thanks for visiting mY bl0g... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello!Thank you for your comment on my blog.Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi
    Nice blog you have
    lovely written and nice to read
    my compliments :-)

    (@^.^@)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely! So matchmaking brought them together finally! "Common Dislikes"

    ReplyDelete
  26. Matchmaking is really embarassing :( I understand...

    btw, your blog's new look is very cool and attractive

    ReplyDelete
  27. "A good story cannot be devised; it has to be distilled"-Raymond Chandler..

    And this story embodies that..it flowed naturally, nice cute characters, nice end.Like you always do, you have again told a simple, beautiful story.

    keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. hey, it is good,...:)
    keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey it reminds me of Dil chahtha hai....
    happening equations in weddings ....
    yet to meet a gal in marriages....
    may be my mom should take a que from this... :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. MichellSommerville0202
    Don't get ideas. It might not work with every girl. :)
    Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    Saurabh
    There is a saying, "Enemy's enemy is a friend", right? This story goes with the saying.
    Thanks for the comment, dude. :)

    Megha
    Its fun sometimes. I enjoy it when my aunts try to fix up my cousins with some guys. :P
    Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pravin
    Thanks, dude! I'm really flattered. :) I'll keep writing even if people stop reading and liking my stories. :P I wont spare them so easily. :P

    Haddok
    Thanks, buddy! :)

    Champaka
    You finally read a story that I have written. Thanks, girl! :)

    Mahesh
    Make her read this story. :P
    Well, to be honest I haven't watched "Dil chahta hai". I know you wouldn't believe but i haven't watched quite some famous movies like DDLJ, Kaho na pyaar hai and others...
    Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good fiction and looks so real.. it could happen anywhere to anyone. Well written

    ReplyDelete
  33. That was a very nice story Nethra :) A very simple ending but this does happen in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is familiar ground :). It used to happen more in our times. Nowadays there are so many options for young girls and boys to meet but family will inevitably try to "match" a daughter with an eligible bachelor. A true life situation.

    ReplyDelete
  35. nice flow of emotions n reality in d form of words..
    loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well done :) One of the most awkward situations has been elaborately written! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautifully written.
    Enjoyed reading the story.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey!! Thats and awesome story!!!
    Splendidly written!! What about writing a sequel to this!! You can easily find out atleast a dozen situations where The genX will face awkward situations!

    Regards
    http://hshekhar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Farila
    This was alright. It could have been worse, right? Anyway, thanks for the comment. :)

    Ko212ryS_Dahle0
    You got it right. :)

    evanescentthoughts
    It does happen. It happened with my cousins and thankfully it wont happen with me. My mom is very cool, unlike the one in the story. Thanks for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. daffodils2
    My mom told me all about matchmaking but not her story because my dad was the first guy whom she had met. Anyway, thanks for the comment.:)

    deepa kashyap
    Thanks, girl! :)

    Shrinidhi Hande
    I'm glad you enjoyed reading the story. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Vibushan L Narayan
    Thanks! I'm glad I could do justice to the thing I was writing :)

    Vikram Karve
    Thanks for the comment! :)

    Azad
    I'll surely think of a sequel. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Such match making maybe uncomfortable but it isn't bad, they did have a choice :) I am sure her mother was ginning guiltless-ly as she watched them walk away :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Grosse! i m talking abt the situation, the post is however very nicely expressed! and the worst character i faced was the Guiltless MOM!

    ReplyDelete
  44. wow !!! i loved dis...wished i was sent witha guy like dis ;)

    hear my gadget speak

    ReplyDelete
  45. Its like being on stage & clueless about the performance..yikes!Nicely narrated story :)
    I'm waiting for my turn to come..if my relatives ever make such a mistake I've quite a nice a plan ready for counterattack :P

    ReplyDelete
  46. I don't believe this. They actually got married. I was hoping a rebel from Sushma. :P
    I liked the story. Simple.

    ReplyDelete
  47. The story is very simple.. and yet keeps you hooked.

    Good stuff, keep it up :-)

    ReplyDelete