Pages

06 March 2010

Time travel


This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 8; the eighth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

"We can't take that risk. We don't know how her body might react to the speed, so we ought to send a test subject before we summon her", he explained. He hoped they would get his point, he hated this part of his work. Making a bunch of lunkheads understand science was more difficult than teaching a monkey to speak English.

"Do as you wish but we want results", John said on behalf of everyone.

He said, "It can't be helped. We ought to go by rules. I can't perform miracles" and walked out of the conference room.

How much he hated working for them. They weren't making him work for the welfare of mankind or anyone for that matter. It was always about them. They wanted him to finish off the project as soon as possible so that they could save their hides.

***

"So who is our guinea pig?" he asked and when he saw a black man whom he didn't recognize, he supposed that was him. He asked his team, "Lets get started, shall we?"

"The probability of this test succeeding is at most eighty nine percent", he informed the black man. He didn't even bother asking his name. However, when he noticed the fear on his face, he added, "Eighty nine percent is a life saver, trust me".

He asked, "Do you know that you might never come back?" and the black man nodded.

"Poor thing. I wonder how much they have paid him to do this"

"Once you are there, you will have just an hour to finish your job".

"Roger".


***

"It should have worked unless she was aware of our plan and had a counter plan ready".

"Its impossible to fight such a strong force, all by herself".

"She is awesome, isn't she? If she actually fought this, then I wonder what she would be capable of if she had access to our advanced technology".

"Well! I have to bring her here to see what she is capable of".

***

"I'm going. If we can't bring her here then everything we did would be pointless. I can't let that happen. This project is my dream", he explained.

"No doctor. We can't let you do that", they argued.

"You guys know everything and you can carry on without me, we need her".

He sat on the chair and signaled them to start the machine. He wanted to meet her no matter what. She was a genius lost in history and he wanted to learn what he had missed, where he had gone wrong and why his machine didn't work as desired.

***

He had chained her to the chair. Now, all he he had to do was wait for the effect of the drug to wear off. He had worked so hard but still had failed to understand time traveling completely. Now, he waited for the woman who knew what he had missed. His project depended on her knowledge.

At-last, she woke up. She asked, "Where am I, who are you and what do you want?" She looked scared and he didn't like that. He wasn't a bad guy after all. He had her immobilized because he didn't know how she would react if he spoke about time traveling. He had supposed she wouldn't talk to him and he didn't have enough time to win her confidence.

"Don't be scared. You are safe. I just have few questions to ask. That's all".

She asked, "Have you time traveled? Are you from future?" He nodded.

She asked "Why? Why were you summoning me?"

"However, it didn't work", he pointed.

She barked, "Who are you to go against whatever God has in store for us? Let them die if that is what God wants. Let the world end".

He demanded, "How do you know?"

"Grandpa had predicted that this day would come...that someone from future would come seeking my knowledge".

"The world will end anyway, but the people who invested in this project don't want to see that end. They want to live".

She asked, "So that's what you want? I don't think you would have come here if that's what you wanted".

"This project is my dream", he said. When she didn't say anything he continued, "I just want to know what didn't work. I don't intend to go against anything. I never meant this project to be a success. The history book that I read is fatter than whatever you read. My days were crueler than yours. Men have changed a lot. Hitler is a joke in front of them and if they are meant to be dead then they will, no matter how hard they try to fight death. Being the only one who knows how my machine works, I still came here. I fooled my sub ordinates to believe that they knew everything about the time machine and they could work without me. I didn't come here to save those rich bastards. I just wanted to learn about time travel. I wanted to know what you knew".

He added, "My body can't sustain the speed more than once. I can't go back, so you can trust me".

She thought for awhile before saying, "You couldn't summon me to the future because the speed you used couldn't fight the magnetic force of my magnet bracelet. Though the magnetic force is feeble compared to the light, it is stronger than the signals that are sent from future". He stood dumbstruck, as he had never supposed fighting time machine could be so simple. She continued, "Time travel is not only about speed because the speed damages the human body at cellular level. You should have considered protecting the travelers body by using other energies, instead of concentrating only on light and speed".

***

John said, "Time travel isn't an option now. We better concentrate on space housing" and everyone agreed.





The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.


67 comments:

  1. Nice work there..Liked the physics towards the end of the post..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you really into science fiction, no?? nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic! :D liked that ending.. twas wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow... that was a great sci-fi...:D perfect narration and ending...:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work, there. Sci-fi fiction, eh? :P All the best for BATOM!

    PS: http://bit.ly/aliensandme

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, I found it a bit long post despite that the content was really good. I liked the narration and especially the ending. Yes, very sci-fi.
    Good Luck for the Batom!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great end!! Even brought magnetic signals into time travel now....!! nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work there. You surely have done your research well. The end was unpredictable. All the best for Blog-a-Ton 8.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work buddy.......really wonderful...
    liked ending ....good dear..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. excellent narration, very well written :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Nethra! That is some hard core Physics there! Really impressed! Liked your take on the topic...the message in the end is loud and clear....'Know what you are doing!'...Space Housing is something that made me raise a brow! Interesting post girl! Good luck with BATOM :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sci-fi and different :) Nice..
    All the best..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vamsi
    I'm glad you liked it. The physics part wasn't too difficult, but I'm happy it added impact to the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. swayambhu
    I'm happy you liked it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leo
    I guess at the end of world everyone will come up with a weird idea to save their backs. This was my idea. :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Siddhesh
    I'm glad you liked both the narration and the climax. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Virgin Author!
    Thanks for the wishes. :) Its good if I win but I'm not expecting much. Its enough if whoever read the story, likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vivek Nanda
    You say this post is lengthy, then I guess you haven't checked other blog-a-ton participant's posts.
    Anyways, I'm happy you liked the story and thanks for reading it patiently even though you felt its long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mural
    The magnetic theory is not true. It was just my imagination. I'm glad you liked the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pooja
    To be frank, I didn't do any research. All those theories in this post are purely fictitious. I guess I managed to fool my readers with those fake theories. :P Just kidding!
    By the way, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Saurabh
    I'm glad you liked it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Harsha
    You are a good writer yourself. Now, if you are saying it was a good story then I ought to congratulate myself.
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Raksha
    I just used some facts that I already knew and came up with a fake theory. That's all with the hard core physics.
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Megha
    Thanks for the appreciation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well written. I liked your writing you more for what you have not written than what you have written. Instead of describing everything and over simplifying things, you have managed to maintain an air of mystery intriguing the reader. Good technique to let the reader's imagination do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm happy for you liked the story. Visit my blog again to read my other stories. You might like them too.
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. The statement 'Time travel is not only about speed n have considered protecting the travelers body by using other energies, instead of concentrating only on light and speed', I really lykd it. I mean, you've shown the regular sci-fi writers on TT a new dimension. sure to be Out of the Box thinking. All the best Nethra..

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW
    that was really cool..
    a simple msg said in so clear manner :)

    frankly, the language was better than some of ur other posts :) and font is much better now..easy on the eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I liked this attempt. Some one pointed Madness concept. Actual madness.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Nethra..
    Awesome, as usual your are rocking ...
    All the best :-)

    Yours Frendly,
    Saravana Kumar M

    ReplyDelete
  31. neozubair
    Thanks for the appreciation. I'm glad you liked the story. All the best to you too. :)

    Sundeep
    I increased the font size after you suggested and I'm really happy that I'm improving my writing skills. Thanks for appreciating my effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Makk
    We might see such a day in our near future, after all Mayans have claimed that the world will end soon.
    Thanks for taking out time to read the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Saravana Kumar
    I'm happy you liked the story. I write because I enjoy writing and on top of it, if some one appreciates my work, obviously I'll be on top of the world.
    Thanks and all the best to you too. :)

    Srinivas
    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Interesting thought! And imaginative too.
    Liked it!
    Cheers and all the best for BAT-8! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Intriguing and made me to ponder on some aspects of time concept....
    great effort...
    all d best for bat8 :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cellular damage? Hmm something totally different and imaginative. Just loooved this post!! (one reason being that it is totally a sci-fi one) Ending was nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. your bird of imagination took a great and successful flight...nice read..
    All the best for BAT 8

    ReplyDelete
  38. Shilpa
    Thank you. All the best to you too. :)

    Mahesh
    Thank you, Mahesh. I just felt like adding some more physics to the normal time traveling thing. I've always wondered whether our body will be able to sustain such great speed...i mean the speed of light.
    Anyway, all the best to you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. evanescentthoughts
    I'm glad you liked it. Visit my blog again to read my other stories. I guess even though they aren't sci-fi you might like them too.
    Thanks! :)

    Geeta
    Hehe! I'm glad the flight was successful. It would have been such a shame if the mission had failed.
    Thanks and all the best to you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. excellent written..
    perfect title .....really awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  41. It was well written ! I liked the way you gave importance to even intricate details :) And the twist in the end was definitely unexpected !

    All the best for BATOM - 8 :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Saurabh
    Thanks, dude. :)

    Blogger
    I'm glad you liked the story and also the twist. I tried not to miss the details that were necessary to understand the story. Thanks and all the best to you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. hey nice post..very well researched..good luck for BAT :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. woow... nice one there./
    i dunno why i always end up missing the blog-a-
    ton every month..
    every month i decide im in the next month and zappp something happens and i forget :(

    anyways thats a lovely narration there and here's something for you sweet writer :)

    http://megzone.wordpress.com/2010/03/09/poetic-resonance/

    ReplyDelete
  45. Nice wrk nethra.. intrsting sci-fi.. keep thm cuming :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Neha
    First of all, I didn't do any research for this story and secondly thanks for the wishes. All the best to you too. :)

    Megzone
    I suggest you should participate. Its alright if we don't win and awesome if we win. Healthy participation defines a player, what say?
    Thanks for that lovely award. :)

    Vipul
    Thanks Vipul. I guess I wouldn't have written this story if not for Blog-a-ton. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. oooohhhh sci-Fi! Nice!

    The next BAT topic should be Space housing!

    Nice post. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  48. is there a piece of story missing or am I dumbest? :)
    Anyways, seems like a promising story ready for a hollywood movie..
    Good narration..:)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Saurabh
    Space housing isn't a interesting topic. :P
    Thanks and all the best to you too. :)

    dilontherocks
    You didn't understand something? I guess you should read it again.
    Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Nice post
    ----
    please submit your blog on my blog,
    http://blog-linkexchange-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  51. he he interesting topic!

    vamsee

    ReplyDelete
  52. Blog-linkexchange=blog
    Thanks for visiting my blog. Sorry but I don't do link exchange.

    Vamsee
    I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for your comment. :)

    Mansoor
    Thanks, Mansoor. I will surely visit your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Bit confusing in the beginning for me.. but the link was well established at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hey Netra

    There's something awaiting you in my blog. Pls do share my happiness and festive spirit...

    Regds
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi Nethra.. plz visit my caricatures blog.. wwwsillypoint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. aativas
    I'm glad you understood the story unlike few others. Thanks for the comment. :)

    deepazartz
    Hey, I checked your blog. Thanks for mentioning me and by the way, my name is Nethra, not Netra. :)

    Mansoor
    I already checked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. incredible wrk dear..very impressv...looking forward fr more

    ReplyDelete
  58. nethra...
    long time no posts :(
    anyways i have an award for you :D
    please do accept
    http://megzone.wordpress.com/2010/03/16/whiff-of-glory/

    ReplyDelete
  59. Vineet
    Thanks, Vineet. I'm happy you liked the story. :)

    開心唷
    Thanks! :)

    Megzone
    I will post very soon. By the way, thanks for the award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. i liked it... loved the comment on hitler... and the work put into is really good... nice work :)

    take care and keep writing.........

    ReplyDelete
  61. Wow!! loved it..pretty neat work.
    :)
    will come back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Thousif
    I'm glad you liked it. When somebody appreciates my work, I feel like it was worth writing. Surely i will write more. Thanks! :)

    Sorcerer
    You can visit my blog anytime. Now, I'm looking forward to read your opinions about my other stories.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete