Pages

13 October 2009

The First Omen

Simple things always gets my interest, more than the sophistications and riches that generally lures people of my age. I choose to spend my weekends reading a book rather than crowd the shopping malls. However, my love for plainness never influenced my fancy for the elegance and the magnificence of the nature. Nature always calls upon me. I relish long, lonely evening walks, because that is when I get to see things as they are, rather than take everything that cinemas shows us nowadays. I love when my hair flutters along with the cool breeze and birds sing somewhere faraway.

Though, every evening walk had been no different from the other, except for the people who walk the streets, there was something magical about that evening. I could feel the magic and also smell it. Thankfully, I live in suburbs; otherwise, I would have been smelling smoke that vehicles fart.

I was alone in the street, standing, taking in every detail around me. I could sense eyes upon me. The trees, the cool breeze and the gossiping birds, everybody were following my every move. I let my eyes stray from one side of the road to another, in search of the magic. I even looked on the branches of the trees, which were being mere mute spectators that evening.

At last, the magic caught my attention. I couldn’t take off my eyes from it, though staring at it was hurting them. I stood there, alone, caught in the spell of the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen in my life. The sinking sun had emblazoned the sky so elegantly that I wished to spend my entire life admiring its beauty. Surely, no artist would ever boast about his work, if he ever witness such a wonder. The colors were so beautifully chosen and the patterns so delicate, so glorious.

I stood there, legs rooted to the spot, eyes fixed upon the sinking sun and mouth half open, until the sky went gray and the sun went down the west.

Later, I rushed home, eager to pen down the phrases that were flaring in my mind. I wanted to capture the essence of the phenomena before it faded away. I was sure none of the phrases would manage to convey what I had seen, anyhow I wanted to write. I had seen the sky, many evenings, but none had been magical.

I found a parchment in the closet and also a pen. I sat on the table to sketch the beauty, with words. The magic was still afresh in my mind. I opened the cap of the pen and placed it aside. The phrase that I wanted to start with was, “No artist's work”. As the nib of my pen touched the paper, I realized the pen was dry. I hurried back to the closet, to refill the pen with ink. I took the ink-pot from the shelf and undid it's lid, then dipped the pen in the ink. At the same time, the lights went off and sudden darkness engulfed the room. In fear, I dropped the bottle and beetled off from there.

I had made up my mind to never write anything on the magic that I had encountered that evening, as the omens were not in its favor. However, I write it now, because I have realized that the magic itself was the first omen, very much pleasant and favorable.

39 comments:

  1. i agree after a long tym i read sumthn diffrent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post straight from the heart.How about posting asketch of what you saw??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Plain, quite, touching, warm and tangential. :)

    ""my love for plainness never influenced my fancy for the elegance and the magnificence of the nature. Nature always calls upon me.....""

    made me to feel nostalgic

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow..nethra..
    very nice...liked it so much..
    i dint know u had such capabilities to write fictions(?) :D
    simply this is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is really good, makes you wonder if this is fiction or a first hand experience..
    nice...

    p.s: I started with my own blog too :D

    http://morbidobscurity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice post..:) Your post truly speak your feelings...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. simple yet elegant .....like maggie pichku, Its different :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my 2nd comment nethra.. :D
    hey...is this a fiction or u really had an evenin like tat?????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nature, its divine beauty and you were synonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow.. it was mind blowing... scintillating stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very nice .. liked ur writing style...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Nethra...

    Superb!!!
    U r rocking... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. simple yet so beautiful !! throughly enjoyed the read ..keep writing ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could almost feel the magic while reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. kewl buddy....nice fiction

    himanshu
    http://amazing-n-weirdworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice for sure..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    i am a web designer view (http://myfundoo-blog.blogspot.com/)my blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi..admin
    I LIKE YOUR BLOG.
    Would u like to link exchange with my blog.
    http://myfundoo-blog.blogspot.com/)

    I saw your post on orkut
    and had send the friend request

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Nethra,

    Vehicles farting smoke was a nicely said statement..
    The society is really beautifully UGLY!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have painted a beautiful picture with words. Fabulous! Could imagine everything perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. poetic...loved d way u penned or rathr typed it down....

    critically u cud ve made it a bit mor interestin in d middle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nicely written dude keep writing.Love to read your post.
    http://scribedbyme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice post!! :)

    wonder why few of those who commented should think this as fictional!

    elegance is found in simplest of things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very true... The magnificence that truly touches your heart deserves to be shared with the world!

    Archie
    http://soulsez.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is the magic, by chance, a woman??? Such lovely creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice post...keep on blogging...cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That you love simple things is evident in your blog. It is neat, elegant and simple.

    Great to stop by.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  27. awesome way of expression.... seriously i could remember the same experience when i was on a beach and happened to see the sunset... can't be described in words...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Interesting stuff to read. Liked it. Keep blogging more like this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Nethra
    Really nice read. Simple and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I lost myself after reading it, Atlast the magic caught my attention too :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. nethra,,,ur words reflects real in you...gal who love being herself..sticking to nature and like a bird who wanna fly on her own away from crowds of all seasons..get going :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. hey buddy u hv got a nice blog and priceless posts.No one can compete you.I wanna do link exchange with you.
    Here is my url:
    www.crackznhackz.blogspot.com
    and anchor text is
    Latest Softwares and Movies Downloads
    After adding my link,e-mail me at my_rule_rules@yahoo.com telling about details of your anchor text and also mention url of your blog[Please]. I will add yours link too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Refreshingly nice!!
    going through your other posts now!

    ReplyDelete
  35. you are right ..You have the power to see joy in the simplest things..and also make others to see it...


    " I wanted to capture the essence of the phenomena before it faded. I was sure none of the phrases would manage to convey what I had seen, anyhow I wanted to write. I had seen sky, many evenings, but none had been magical unlike that evening." - wOw!

    ---
    http://sayit1cmore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. pretty straight forward :) straight from heart

    ReplyDelete
  37. Neel,

    This is one of my favorite stories. Thanks for reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete