Pages

16 August 2011

Chanakya's Chant

Chanakya; I assume that there isn’t an Indian who wouldn’t recognize the name. After all, he’s the mastermind behind the glory of Chandragupta, who fought Alexander, the great. 

What comes to your mind when you hear the words “Indian Politics” rather who comes to your mind? Oh, no! I’m not talking about modern politics or politicians. I wasn’t hinting about Sonia Gandhi or her Amul-baby Rahul at all. I’m talking about politics as a big picture. According to me, Sri Krishna, Shakuni and Chanakya are the three people who were good at politics, and also exploiting opportunities and other’s weaknesses as well. They were the greatest strategist of all times in my opinion and I’m sure most of you would agree with me. However, I love reading books or watching animes, where the protagonists are extremely intelligent. For example: Code Geass is one of my favorite animes and whoever has watched it knows how good a strategist Lelouch vi Britannia was. Hence, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Ashwin Sanghi’s Chanakya’s Chant.

The book narrates two stories parallelly-one Chanakya’s and another Gangasagar’s, who is a great fan of the former. I never fancied history classes at school because of too many names and dates that I had to mug up to pass the exam but I enjoy reading story-like history books and for people like me, Chanakya’s Chant is really a treat. 

And to tell about Gangasagar’s part of the book, I liked the way it went along with Chanakya’s. Chandini playing Chandragupta and the way Gangasagar play politics and everyone around him and the Prime-minister’s throne to make her the prime minister, just like Chanakya struggled to make Chandragupta the king while avenging his father’s death. 

Both Gangasagar and Chanakya, the protagonists of the stories seemed almost invincible because of the strategies they came up with and the way they dealt with people and situations. Though they played dirty politics, you would still support them for they were just working for the “greater good”. They follow none other than Sri Krishna’s principle of removing evil by evil. They have answers for almost everything. In the situations where others would have given up and felt defeated, they saw opportunities. They make you feel dim when they solve a problem. They are cunning but you would still look up to them. 

At times, you might feel like you have already heard the story because of the clichés and in between, even I felt like the author has just replaced the real characters with few fictional ones and rewrote the story by adapting it into recent times. Nevertheless, it was a good read. 

If you have read the book review of “Love on the rocks” on my blog then you would know that I don’t read much of Indian authors but Chanakya’s Chant is one book that I would like to reread among few novels written by Indian authors that I have read until date.

I would rate the book 4 out of 5 and recommend everyone who loves history and politics read it because I really enjoyed reading the book.

This review is a part of the Book Reviews Program at BlogAdda.com. Participate now to get free books!

10 comments:

  1. U were reading it yesterday night and u completed it already...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to read it...will grab it soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay now this book seems to be a good pick. Samadrita wrote on it recently, now you! I think I must read it too for all the attention it is getting :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book barring some cliches that is. Good review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. was thinking of picking it up...but was not sure... now i am sure :) - nice review

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post, will definitely pick up the book now. Only one correction Chandragupta never fought Alexander, he fought Seleucus Nicator who came to rule the Indian Portions of Alexander's empire after the death of Alexander.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm I liked the Ashwin's first work "Rosabal line", so might pick this as well. Crossword currently retails it for 100 bucks so pocket friendly too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ketan
    I had been reading it since 2 weeks before I posted this review.

    Prateek
    You like it too, didn't you?

    Sneha
    Please, do! You shall definitely like it.

    Vamsi
    You would like it more than anyone else, I suppose because you keep writing about such things.

    Chakoli
    Very interesting, trust me.

    Samadrita
    Yes, I liked it at least.

    Dishit D
    Please, do! You won't be disappointed for sure.

    Vikram
    Thanks for correcting me!

    Lakshmi Rajan
    And the best part is you can reread the book, unlike books of few other Indian authors.

    ReplyDelete