Pages

23 October 2011

Making of a fantasy author

Dear readers & bloggers,

I won’t say that I always wanted to be an author. To be honest, I was dragged into this whole write-a-novel thing. Well, it’s a long story and I don’t intend to pen down another book explaining how I became an author and Blah! Blah! Blah! So, I shall keep it short and try to explain the entire journey in a few simple words.

I was a crazy blogger (but I hardly blog nowadays) and I’m an avid reader too. I love reading fantasy fictions and paranormals, and I also daydream a lot. Entrapped is just a product of those daydreams. I imagined a girl haunted by a dream and every-time she dreams, someone calls for her help, “We are trapped. Please, free us…” The idea intrigued me and I decided to spin a story around the same. I named the girl Myra Bose and penned down the prologue of Entrapped in no time. Few of my friends, who read it, encouraged me to continue. It took five months to finish the initial draft. After my exams, when I was waiting for the results, I got enough time to polish the initial draft. I prioritized Entrapped over other things and to be frank, at that moment, I didn’t have getting it published on my mind.

Halfway through my script, I came across this fantastic group, Book Readers Lounge (BRL) on Facebook. It was a turning point for my book. I met many Indian authors on this online community and few of them even guided me on how to make a book proposal, how to approach publishers and so on. Until then, I knew nothing about publishers and publishing process but thanks to those who aided me, I got my book published. I owe those guys a lot.

Steadily, my network grew and I got acquainted with many great writers. However, I really doubted whether my manuscript would interest any publisher in India as it was a fantasy fiction; romance seemed to be publishers’ favorite genre. Nevertheless, I wanted to take a chance. Soon after my manuscript was completed, I sent the book proposal to as many publishers as I could. Many rejected saying that they don’t publish this genre and very few asked for the complete manuscript. This continued for awhile but finally, after three months of struggle, Cedar Books agreed to publish it.

Even the title of the book has an interesting story behind it. When I submitted my book’s proposal to publishers, I had named it as “In quest of dreams” but I wasn’t too happy with the title. I couldn’t come up with anything better either. I played with many options before deciding on “Entrapped”.

On the ending note, I’m glad that I got an opportunity to share my experience with you-readers and bloggers. Thanks to Nethra for inviting me to do a guest post on her blog!

Sneha Kedar
Author of the book "Entrapped"

15 comments:

  1. All the best for your debut novel Sneha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just wanted to ask... how much time did it take to write.. u said 5 months for the first draft... is that like a dedicated fulltime 5 months or 'in between work' 5 months ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I devoted my complete 5 months for the first draft. NO work nothing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Prateek : Thanks for your wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sneha, all the very best for your debut novel!
    Looking forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. all the best Sneha.. looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish you all the Best for your first Novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @shilpa, SuKupedia, S.V thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its great to see your friend Nethra promote you on her blog Sneha :)

    I know its an unusual genre in India, but I have a feeling I will completely enjoy your book.

    p.s. Are the movie rights on sale still? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Siddhartha : Thanks :) Nethra is very supportive because fantasy is her fav. genre.

    Haven't thought about turning this book into movie yet. Still have to make enough contacts :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay now! This seems to interesting. It is amusing to see Indian bloggers take up interest in writing. So Sneha/Nethra, Where do I get this book? I stay in Bangalore and I heavily rely on JustBooks for my book reading activity. So any info about the what and where of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @veekay
    First of all, don't tag me as a blogger. I want to be known as a writer more than a blogger. A friend suggested that I should blog to improve my writing skills so I started blogging. So writing was my interest not blogging so it shouldn't surprise you if I write a book too.

    The book is available on Flipkart & it is affordable too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoaaaa... awesome, I am bad writer.. they only thing I am good at it writing dialogues... lolzz... and even then I tried writing Fiction like several times... but like always I got "entrapped" in a host of ideas so engrossed that I couldn't figure out which elements to keep and which to throw out.. I know I am pathetic.. lolzzz... but you girl... you rock... already ordered the copy... will write more once i get through the book... Ohh by the way any sequels coming????

    ReplyDelete
  14. One Question Sneha - Did you face the same dilemma of what elements to keep and what elements to throw out? Did you also face the issue wherein the characters suddenly started looking like people you know?? My book lies in papers... seriously I am an old school types, I still prefer to write on paper than type on laptop and FANTASY FICTION is the only genre I can ever read or think about writing :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. The VASHIKARAN MANTRA that might be recited or the solutions provided by the astrologer for your problems are always towards the positive side. If you intend to do something negative, these VASHIKARAN mantras won't work. Similarly, you need to have faith in the term 'astrology'; else you can never experience positive results.

    ReplyDelete