Pages

12 May 2009

Bread and Belt

I was hungry and wished I could earn my bread just like humans do but they had left nothing for others. I wished I was in a forest, hunting some animal and living happily, until some other animal hunted me down but I wasn't blessed enough to deserve that ecstasy. I lived among humans who considered themselves as Gods of earth. In one way they were right, they were Gods of destruction. They destructed everything they passed by.

I ignored their atrocity and sat in front of a small bakery, waiting for someone to throw a piece of bread. I never slept with a full stomach but I always hoped I would get at least a mouthful of bread to make it through  another day. No dog could be sure that he will get to eat something the next day.

I waited for hours and hours but no one even glanced at me. Still, I waited hoping someone would be generous enough to throw a small piece of bread. Hundreds of people walked in and walked out, carrying loads of food with them. For a moment, I wished even I was a human but the idea was so disgusting that I gave up immediately. I did not want to be a human, who wouldn't even throw a piece of bread at a poor dog.

I whined supposing someone will hear me and show some pity on me but no one showed me any mercy. A man walked out of the bakery carrying a belt in his hand and hit me before I could retreat. I limped away from there as soon as possible because I didn't want to die.

I had not eaten anything since morning and on top of it, I was hurt. My left leg hurt like hell. I prayed to God asking him to give me death if not bread. I did not remember doing anything that would make me deserve so much pain and also hunger, and then I supposed I might have been a human in my past life.

I limped and limped, until the sky cried along with me. I took shelter beneath a tree not wanting to get drenched in cold water. I was already hungry and hurt, I did not want to catch cold too. There were lot of trees around and they looked good in rain. I drank some water hoping it would keep me alive for a day.

A man ran towards the tree under which I was standing and then kicked me off from there and before I could wonder why he kicked me, my right leg hit a stone and started bleeding. I slept under another tree and drifted into dreams. The dream was wonderful unlike the reality. A young boy offered me a piece of bread and I licked his hand thankfully. He smiled at me and he looked so angelic.

Next morning, when I opened my eyes I found another dog sleeping nearby. I looked around and felt very happy. Everything looked so peaceful except the dog. It was hurt. There was blood all around him. I walked towards him and realized my legs didn't hurt anymore. I looked at them and was surprised to see they were perfectly alright. There was no blood and no wound.

My heart stopped when I almost walked into the dog that was hurt. Then, I realized I had no heart to stop, it had already ceased. The dog sleeping nearby, was me. It was my dead body. Someone had run a vehicle over me. I was drenched in blood and was in pieces. I did not feel sorry for myself, instead I was glad  that I had felt no pain while dying. This was better than living among human. I closed my eyes and evaporated into the sky praying for peace.

29 comments:

  1. really touching!!! very well written

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have also seen going through same pain, but even i amaze on ur good imagination.atleast you understand their pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good heart touching story.. good narration

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice read .. me likey !! :) ... i wrote sumthing similer to this too !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the extinction of 'humanity' phrase depicted well!!...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its very nice story and narration is too good.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey... very nicely described.....
    words are just touching....
    Keep up the gr8 work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very touching story...the narration style is really good...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful thoughts, nicely put... Reflects the mentality of humans and other creatures very well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey u made me to cry
    :-(......seriously............my eyes were filled with tears the very moment I read those last few lines. Good imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful piece of work..made me feel like standing in front of mirror and betraying myself..

    ReplyDelete
  12. man...i felt sorry...
    i did so many times wit my frens [hitting dogs wit stick by chasing dem] when we were on our way toward our room.
    lots of streets dog...dey bark on us even while we were riding bikes,
    dey trynna bite us [a running bike]but i felt sorry for dis particular dog, as u kno every1 even human being r not similar in thought and everything do dey [dogs] too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very good story keep it up and don't stop writing by now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. its one of the best creation that i ever seen..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice thought....... May your soul rest in peace ( I mean dogs)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey thanks for making us realize how mercyless we are sometimes :-(

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful thought, very well expressed..!! I'm proud of you..!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. u dragged it a bit in da beginnning...but climax(end)..fabulous..good one again

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart stopped when I almost walked into the dog that was hurt. I realized I had no heart to stop, it had already ceased.

    good lines!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i've just heard u say that u write. but after reading your "blind encounter" and "bread and belt" i feel really happy to have known a wonderful writer that u r.awesome dear you rock.Please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. very nice story ..
    great choice of words

    ReplyDelete
  22. very emotional and touching.You have captured all the emotions very well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice thought, Wonderful narration ...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Even my Xams are coming but I have just read your story...........

    nicely written man.

    love to read your stories..

    keep writing
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was very touching. To call it amazing would be to appreciate your writing skill and imagination, which is there, but I felt the most important aspect was what it conveyed; life from a dogs point of view.
    Thank you for putting it in words.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sunil
    This post is very close to my heart. Everytime I see a dead street dog on road, My heart cries.

    ReplyDelete