Pages

28 February 2012

Luwan of Brida by Sarang Mahajan

Have you read J. R. R. Tolkien’s ‘Lord of the Rings’? Have you read Christopher Paolini’s ‘Inheritance Cycle’? I have read them and liked them a great deal. Being a sucker for fantasy genre books, I had assumed that I have read most of the books under “fantasy” tag but a friend made me realize that I haven’t read much. There are George R. R. Martin’s ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’, Robert Jordan’s ‘The Wheel of Time’, Ursula Le Guin’s ‘A Wizard of Earthsea’ and Stephen King’s ‘The Dark Tower Series’ that I am yet to read.

The stories of witches and wizards, dragons and other fantastic creatures, and perilous journeys taken by the protagonist of the book, while the villains across the globe chase him/her…even thinking about such things give me goosebumps. I declare again that I just love reading fantasy fictions.

Indian authors haven’t contributed much to this genre or probably I haven’t read the ones that they have written. Anyway, that’s not what I wanted to talk about but about a book that I recently read. It is Luwan of Brida written by Sarang Mahajan. It was an excellent read and I am sure that you will like it too if you love reading fantasy fictions. The story of a boy named Luwan from a small village called Brida in the farthest corner of Inkredia, located at the foot of the great Malingo Mountains was quite enthralling. The dangerous road that he decides to take along with his sister Meg made the hair on my neck stand up. If Ghorks (fantastic creatures) and their riders were tailing you, then you would have definitely chosen to surrender yourself to death instead of facing such gruesome enemies. However, Luwan and Meg outwit the enemies with help of Kiliarn.

Kiliarn was just too awesome. He is my favorite character from the book. I’m not sure whether he was handsome or not, but his brains and courage made me fall in love with him. You must read the book to know more about him. Even you might end up falling for him. You never know.

Luwan of Brida is the first book of the series ‘Inkredia’ and ‘The castle of Tushkrum’ would be the second book. To talk about the writing itself, the narration was quite good and so was the pace of the story. The author has given importance to such minute details that it gives you a feeling that he might be narrating a story that he has witnessed himself and it is not just a work of his imagination.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 and recommend that everyone read it too.

Check the official trailer for Luwan of Brida:


2 comments:

  1. i dont really end up liking indian fantasy fiction. but i do want to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The VASHIKARAN MANTRA that might be recited or the solutions provided by the astrologer for your problems are always towards the positive side. If you intend to do something negative, these VASHIKARAN mantras won't work. Similarly, you need to have faith in the term 'astrology'; else you can never experience positive results.

    ReplyDelete