Pages

18 March 2011

The Shawshank Redemption

Andy Dufresne and Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding
Image Courtesy: listal

Have you ever been to an ocean? Doesn’t it look calm though we know there are millions of lives and zillions of activities happening underneath that mask of calmness. It hides countless secrets beneath it and when we learn any one of those secrets, we are left with nothing but the feeling of awe and that was exactly what happened to me when I watched “The Shawshank Redemption”. The movie wasn’t pacy but it wasn’t slow either. I quite liked both the pace and the storyline but if you decide to watch the movie after reading this review then let me warn you that the movie might not necessarily have the same effect on you, however I guarantee that it would at least not disappoint you.

Any man would be outraged if he learnt that his wife was cheating upon him; Andy Dufresne, our protagonist played by Tim Robbins, was angry too when he found out that his wife was sleeping with a golf player. He got drunk and then went to his wife’s boyfriend’s place with a loaded gun, for only-god-knows-why. The next day, the maid finds them dead and Mr. Dufresne is sent to serve two life sentences, back to back, at Shawshank. Initially, he remains quite and lost in himself, then he become friends with few other prisoners; Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding, played by Morgan Freeman, being one among them. The awful things that he experiences at the prison and the prison itself fails to deplete his hope for a peaceful and a happy life post prison, and his hope gives hope to his friend Red. The movie is mainly about how Andy copes up with the sudden change in his life, then the prison and his bonding with Red. I know that it doesn’t sound fun and I suggest that you postpone watching this movie if you are seeking a frivolous watch.

I believe Stephan King doesn’t need an introduction and the movie is adopted from one of his short stories that shares its name with the movie, and Frank Darabont has made that short story into a wonderful movie. Everyone who was a part of the movie must have worked really hard hence a big applause to everyone, but we identify only those that we see on the screen and I must say that all the actors have done justice to their roles, especially Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. They are so natural in the movie that they make it look real. I don't want to rate the movie; however I suggest that everyone should watch it, at least once. I have watched it twice already and plan to watch it again, and again.

My favorite dialogues from the movie are “Yeah. The funny thing is - on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook.” and “Everyone in here is innocent”.


14 comments:

  1. Wonderful review. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been asked to watch this movie by so many people now. Arguably The Shawshank Redemption is the best movie ever made in Hollywood. Okay some people say so. Will definitely give it watch! :)
    And very good review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool review. Nice to see a review of my most favourite movie. I have many favourite quotes from the movie. One of them "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies" ..... Keep the reviews coming

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its an awesome movie...I would too recommend it to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my fav movie.. I have watched it 11 times till now. A must watch for everyone. My friend recommended it to me and I always ignored him as the name of the movie was not exciting..
    So many things to learn from the movie. It has become a cult movie with huge fan following all over the world..
    My Fav live from movie..
    "Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying"
    Have used it on my website as a tag line
    http://www.kunalchichkar.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. well reviewed but am not much of a movie goer so :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the movie...with the twists and surprises! Glad you reviewed it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watch it everytime it is shown in any channel. The movie wasn't a blockbuster hit when it was released, but became a cult hit after its video release and yes, it is on every list of top rated hollywood movies. The best thing I like about the movie is that every character was sculpted very carefully. Director Frank Darabont's screenplay beautifully adapts Stephen King's novella.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Everyone here is innocent."
    It was an epic movie, I'd say. He never lost hope and trust in himself and redeemed himself, of everything, and no one would find him, again.

    Nice review.

    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  10. On my watch-list. Your review was crisp and sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been thinking of watching this film since a very long time. After reading this I've decided that I surely will :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rajesh
    You should watch it. It's very nice.

    Samadrita
    I don't know whether it's the best movie but it's really very good. It moved my heart. :)

    Rishi
    Ah! I shall write more reviews only if you suggest such good movies. :P

    Siddhartha
    Everyone should watch it at least once, right?

    Kunal
    11 times! :-o that's too many times but I plan to watch it many times too. :)

    magiceye
    But you should watch it at least once. It's really good.

    Varsha
    Yes, it was very engaging though slow.

    Giri
    Frank Darabont is one among the bests.

    Blasphemous Aesthete
    But he hadn't done anything to get redeemed. He was innocent, wasn't he?

    Insignia
    You would definitely love the movie.

    vamsi
    You should. After all, it's one of the best movies ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my Fav movie, I felt this is a very heavy kind of movie with lots of values & lessons & experiences which you can take away after watching it, the narration & the accent of Morgan Freeman's voice is simply outstanding, i felt the review should have contained more appreciations of this which is the all time IMDB's top 10! there are many quotes which we become memories - about hope the movie showcases it so elegantly, hope is a dangerous thing, it can drive a man insane, hope is probably the best of things, this the only thing they can't take it from you, & His judgement cometh & right soon. - are Awesome quotes ! which we will appreciate more after watching in the context of the movie

    ReplyDelete